Thursday, March 10, 2011

Blueberry Crisp


I read somewhere once, that people only use a tiny fraction of their brains, and that there’s an incredible amount of mental energy that is rarely used, if ever. I found this incredibly depressing. Those strange frontal lobes and upper cortexes of my brain: Unused! Unloved!


I frequently worry that I spend all my time thinking about relatively trivial things: laundry that I never actually do, driving, my obsession with John Aielli who is the DJ for Eklectikos my favorite radio show EVER, clothes, thrifting, college, doughnuts, clothes, stupid things people post on facebook, clothes, liquid eyeliner which I'm afraid to apply because I know I'll make a mess and I hate taking makeup off, clothes and a plethora of of other embarrassingly small thoughts.

But what I am about to tell you is not trivial. In fact, you can think about this all day, every day and even those neglected lower cortexes and upper lobes of your mind will feel loved. Ready for it?

This is a powerful thought:


Blueberry Crisp & Vanilla Ice Cream.

Need I say more?

Despite my love of cake and pie and doughnuts and cookies, there is something completely different about crisps. They are rustic, unpretentious and elegant. Strunk and White would approve.


Crisps fall within the style rules those two grammar fiends set forth: Crisps are not "overstatements" (rule #7.) And they do not "affect a breezy manner" (rule #9), "explain too much" (rule #11) or require "fancy words " (rule #14.)


It's time to stop thinking about trivial things. Feed your mind.

xoxo
mary

Blueberry Crisp
adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

For Crisp Topping:

6 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats or chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional

6 cups blueberries, tossed with an optional 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and maybe some lemon zest if you're feeling fancy

Preheat oven to 375 F.
Using your fingers or the paddle attachment of a mizer, work the butter with the rest of the ingredients (except blueberries) so that each piece is coated and you have a coarse crumbly mixture. Butter a 2-2 1/2-quart baking dish. Pour in blueberries. Gently cover with the topping. Bake for about 45 minutes. Or until topping is lightly browned and blueberries are luscious and bubbly looking.

No comments: