- 1 pound strawberries, hulled
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup almond meal/flour
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the topping:
- Heaping 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Scant 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- Heavy cream, to serve
- 1 ovenproof pie dish approximately 8-inches diameter by 2-inches deep (approximately 1 1/4 quarts capacity)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the hulled strawberries into your pie dish (I use a round one) and sprinkle over them the sugar, almond meal, and vanilla extract. Give the dish a good shake or two to mix the ingredients.
Now for the crumble topping: put the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl and rub in the cold, diced butter between thumb and fingers (or in a free standing mixer).When you've finished with it, it should resemble rough, pale oatmeal. Stir in the sliced almonds and turbinado sugar with a fork.
Tip this over the strawberry mixture, covering the strawberries in an even layer and giving a bit of a press in at the edges of the dish. Set the dish on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, by which time the crumble topping will have darkened to a pale gold and some pink-red juices will be seeping and bubbling out at the edges.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving, and be sure to put a pitcher of chilled heavy cream on the table alongside.