Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Coconut Bread


There's this song by Sharon Van Etten that I'm in love with called "All I Can" and at one point she howls,
"I DO ALL I CANNNNNN" and I love that.


I do all I can. 



I made coconut bread. 
It was really good, only I under-baked it, and so it was kind of like pudding on the bottom. 
Which was disappointing. 
It was because I fucked around with the pan size and was tired, and didn't pay attention. 
Whatever. 
It still tasted really, really good. 




This coconut bread essentially sums up how I've felt these past few months. 
The feeling of I just can't get it quite right.
I tell you this only because sometimes expressing these things helps clear the air. 
So I am clearing the air. 

Intrinsically, however, everything is okay, at least, according to Sharon Van Etten: 
"I DO ALL I CAN. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES."



Anyways. 
April is a good month.
Things happen in April.
This time last year I went swimming at 2am and wore a red dress that was too short and too tight and I was out and about, and the conversations were long and weird and I ate tiramisu and things happened.
I'm hoping that things happen.
I'm hoping I bake my bread just right.
I think it'll be ok.

"I DO ALL I CAN."



Also, I just put out another little EP of songs. 

guts EP cover art

If you have a moment, please listen here and I'll love you endless. 
XOXO


Coconut Bread

via SmittenKitchen.com 

2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups (295 ml) milk
1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups (315 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon table salt (see Note)
2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking powder
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (Bill calls for 2 but I preferred 1, so that it didn’t dominate)
1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
5 ounces (140 grams) sweetened flaked coconut (about 1 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, melted or melted and browned, if desired
Vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray for baking pan
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Add sugar and coconut, and stir to mix. Make a well in the center, and pour in egg mixture, then stir wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Add butter, and stir until just smooth — be careful not to overmix.
Butter and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan, or coat it with a nonstick spray. Spread batter in pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, anywhere from 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan five minutes, before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Serve in thick slices, toasted, with butter and confectioners’ sugar.



No comments: