Friday, October 28, 2011

Crazy Apple Crisp






You never get full.



I'm hungry all the time. Not just for food but also for LIVING. There is so much NEWNESS that I've been experiencing and keep experiencing-- I'm absolutely thrilled by it.



And I'm not going crazy or anything. I'm a pretty tame person. But I am so excited. I'm seeing and doing so much. ALL THE TIME. I go out: Parties, bookstores, shows, plays, art openings, "cultural events." Darlings, I finally feel like I beginning to experience a little bit of the life I've been dreaming about for so long. 
And that is unbelievable. 
I may not be crazy in real people life, but sometimes in my head I am, and some times when I bake I get a little over excited too. 



I went home about a week ago, and I made this. 
And I added mango and dried cherries and pecans and two strawberries that were mouldering in the fridge to what was supposed to be regular apple crisp. You can basically make this crisp out of anything. Get wild and crazy. Add the mango. 
Add the strawberries. Add whatever you want. Experience newness.

Life is beautiful. 



And don't forget to drink lots of milk. 






Crazy Apple Crisp
adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone


It is really important to be pretty scant with the sugar here. Because if you add too much things just get SICKENING. And we can't have any of that. 

For Crisp Topping:

6 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats or chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
some pecans
About three apples, a mango, some strawberries, dried cherries


Preheat oven to 375 F.


Using your fingers or the paddle attachment of a mizer, work the butter with the rest of the ingredients (except blueberries) so that each piece is coated and you have a coarse crumbly mixture. Butter a 2-2 1/2-quart baking dish. Pour in blueberries. Gently cover with the topping. Bake for about 45 minutes. Or until topping is lightly browned and blueberries are luscious and bubbly looking.

No comments: