Wednesday, August 12, 2009

To sum it up

I have had a very busy summer. I've been involved in three shows, in the span of about two months. It's been hard, getting out of my comfort zone and meeting new people, as well as challenging myself as an actress and singer, but in the end it's all been very rewarding. 
I've spent all summer learning how much I don't know, and while it's been frustrating on the one hand, on the other, I'm very excited about the coming school year, because I love to learn new things. 
Some interesting books I've read lately:
Bird by Bird, an interesting, thoughtful book on the joy and pain of writing. 
The Pursuit of Love. An enjoyable, short novel on the large, very British Radlett family, the descriptions of Paris were lovely. Very witty. 

Around the Bloc. One of the best travelogues I've ever read, the narrator is a young woman, struggling with her identity as a Texan-Chicana. She travels through Russia, China and Cuba. Now I want to visit all those places. Even Russia, a country, which I had previously never in a million years wished to visit. I ate it up, truly an awesome read. 
I liked this book, but didn't love it. I love fairy tales but this book felt rather heavy, as if everything had Meaning. Perhaps this says something about my lazy thinking, I simply let things slip by me instead of reading closely and really figuring out what the author was really trying to say. The parts about painting, tulips and art were very interesting. It is however, a good book. 


No comments: